This course is designed to enable participants understand modern electrical substations and their importance for reliable and effective operation of power systems.
Typical engineering issues associated with substation design and engineering will be examined and recommendations for addressing these issues will be provided. All phases of the design will be considered, from site selection, foundation and equipment design up to substation start-up and commissioning.
Upon completion of the course, participants will be able to:
- Describe all major substation components.
- Understand substation equipment installation options.
- Develop the design scope and identify the constraints for the overall project.
- Be familiar with costs and schedules.
- Understand site grading and foundations design.
- Understand commissioning and start up of substations.
Course Content Summary
Some of the course topics are:
- Introduction to electrical engineering
- Electrical engineers’ roles and responsibilities & interconnection with other disciplines
- Codes & standards related to electrical engineering
- Substation types & purposes
- Overview of the substation design
- Site selection & design
- Permits & environmental issues
- Foundation design
- Substation layout
- Grounding & ground grid design
- Substation structures
- Substation equipment & structures
- Auxiliary equipment & systems
- Protective relaying & control
- Commissioning & start up of substations
- Electrical engineers
- Electrical technicians
- Option 1: Evening on weekdays (Monday to Friday)
- Option 2: Weekends (2 Saturdays, 8AM to 4.30PM)
- Option 3: Weekdays (2 days – 8AM to 4.30PM
Course Level: Advanced
Price (Including VAT): N100,000